Zeus Didn’t Own a Car

Have You Been Downtown?

It won’t take long to see all the “you can’t park here on this public street signs”.

Strangely eerie it is that VANOC seems to have inherited the power of Zeus?

New Olympic Sport for REALTORS®

Keeping it simple, there are more REALTORS® than female ski jumpers so while a long shot it might be approved.

The sport’s challenge is to find parking while trying to sell, show or list apartments, townhomes and condos during the Olympics. If you are buying or selling your downtown living space, you may want to consider what impact the Olympics will have on your marketing plan. Talk to your representative to make sure showings won’t be compromised.

Passport To Freedom

Wondering out loud. As a Canadian it’s a difficult adjustment to your thinking when you are being told where and when you can walk and drive around our city, or when and where you can take a bus. It’s not something Canadians are used to and frankly, it stirs resentment! That we will be paying for this party for years to come only adds to the package.

It may be a curmudgeon’s perspective but, with all the restrictions, are there others beyond those at VANOC, who really care if anybody actually has a good time. Rambling – it makes you wonder if there will be more new rules demanding presentation of a Canadian passport to buy beer.

Strange thought – will banks bear the torch by allowing you to delay your mortgage payment because while you tried to get your paycheck deposited on time, you couldn’t find parking space.

Chris Taylor Says:
December 29th, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I have tickets to 7 Olympic hockey tickets, I will be having a good time!

It remains to be seen how I will be getting to GM Place. I’m hoping the bus won’t be too packed as driving is out of the question, and taxis unreliable.

December 30th, 2009 at 1:51 am

Chris,

With that many tickets you could have scored a down payment on a Kitsilano home. 🙂
Enjoy!

* a note for reference – one I know will chafe but here it is.
As a Realtor® I support MLS® and those Realtors® who work within that framework. I do not edit a persons comments made in this blog however, I do monitor them and if they meet with my approval they are published. As such, I won’t be approving the previous comment you left with the non MLS® link. Pithy perhaps, but it is how I role!

Chris Taylor Says:
December 30th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Its OK Larry, we all know the CREA and Realtors are afraid of the competition :p

December 30th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Chris,

“we all know”

Really! I’d like a show of hands in defense of your generalization.

There are days when I actually think you don’t get it and by the same token, there are days when I don’t either. What remains is that you are almost always welcome to be a burr in my saddle.

Speaking of generalizations without a show of hands – the readers want an explanation for all those hockey tickets you have – were they free?

Chris Taylor Says:
December 31st, 2009 at 9:56 am

Sadly you’re correct, the show of hands would be small. “we all know” was a generalization of the educated people who seem to post on real estate blogs, not the sheeple out buying overpriced boxes in the sky.

Few people know that a Realtor doesn’t 100% work in the best interest of a buyer, since a Realtor will not show a buyer houses that are not available for commission (ie not sold on MLS).

In Ottawa where non-MLS real estate sales top 10% this starts to be a problem for buyers. Why use an agent when the agent only represents part of the market? As these non-MLS real estate sales alternatives gain market share this is going to become a problem. Luckily for Vancouver Realtors it doesn’t look to be a problem anytime soon. :-p

We can come back to your metaphor – a Ford salesman does not sell Toyotas – yet the Ford salesman doesn’t have an government regulated monopoly of the market either.

As for my hockey tickets – I was one of the lucky who got tickets in the lottery round of sales, and a few more in the later rounds. 7 games cost me $1000 (for my ticket, add $1000 for the other ticket in a pair), and that includes a semi-final game. Those complaining about the cost of the Olympics are sad, since $1000 is about the cost of a typical weeks vacation and should be easily affordable by the 68% of Canadians that own real estate. 🙂

December 31st, 2009 at 11:15 am

Chris,

“doesn’t 100% work in the best interest of a buyer, since a Realtor will not show a buyer houses that are not available for commission (ie not sold on MLS)” – That is absolute crap, a myopic generalized view at best!

I call BS!

Have you not heard of a Buyer Agency Agreement? At its root it is a contract between the Buyer and Agent in which specific duties and services are outlined and accordingly paid for. Payment for those services range from hourly rate, mixed commission structures, purchase success or itemized performance based fees.

Any and all combinations might apply depending on what each party agrees to.

Simplified – the Buyer contracts with the Realtor®, the Buyer pays the fee and accordingly the Buyer gets the services they choose subject to that salesperson agreeing that they are able to perform those duties.

The REALITY – few if any Buyer’s are prepared to pay a fee for service. Instead, the majority of buyers would rather payment come from proceeds of the sale – from the selling side. Presumed is that many who use the services you describe do not provide a fee to sell their property, or provide less than an agent is prepared to accept a payment for services provided.

To your point – you want to see For Sale By Owner properties or any other property for that matter listed on MLS® or another listing service is not a problem as long as you as the buyer, are prepared to pay for my time and expertise. I’d be happy to make all the arrangements, and even drive you there and negotiate the deal on your behalf with the full knowledge that regardless of whether you are successful in buying one or many properties, I’m getting paid for my time, knowledge and expenses. The choice as always, is yours. That you would suggest I work for free is not!

What needs to be noted is that by making a choice to select a property to view and subsequently purchase one that is outside the bounds of the tenants of cooperation between Realtors® under the guidelines of MLS® that in making that choice, it remains unfair and somewhat self-righteous, that you reserve the right work both sides of the fence while casting dispersions upon Realtors® individually and as a whole.

You don’t work for free nor do others. Realtors® work under the auspices of a contract on either side – whether you are a buyer or a seller. In each case we must perform successfully or we don’t get paid. What is the criteria for you to collect a cheque?

Is there room for both, of course. But are you as the Buyer or Seller are prepared to pay for those services – ain’t nothing free. In selecting a property from a listing service other than MLS® you might make a wise choice to hire someone to help you work through the mud.

Chris Taylor Says:
January 4th, 2010 at 9:25 am

I love how you attacked “working for free”. I never once said anything about working for free – you did.

Instead of calling BS, find me:
– a Realtor willing to work for a straight fee, not a commission.
– a Realtor willing to find me the perfect house, not just the perfect house on MLS.

Names and numbers will speak louder than more rhetoric.

As for this: “As to the singular vision of the service you speak of in Ottawa. Look to the south, there are many more like this entity that you champion. Has it helped the consumer? Ultimately the syndication of listings to various sources has done little more than make it more difficult for the consumer to be able to rely on a single authoritative, accurate and reliable source of information.”

There was a $22M property on MLS you pointed out the Realtor couldn’t even record the number of “biffies” correctly. The consumer pays a hefty fee for this “accurate” service.

As for “has it helped the consumer?” The American sites provide far more neighbourhood info than MLS, collected from many sources, with the sources posted for the buyer to scrutinize. Meanwhile Canadian buyers are left only to trust the words of Realtors – who cannot even record the number of bathrooms in a $22M house.

January 4th, 2010 at 11:17 am

Chris,

Re working for free – you implied it, I gave it a name

names and numbers:

– I charge a service fee for referrals
– perfect house when you find one let me know
– first 1/2 hour is free after that I’ll be happy to charge you a non-refundable hourly rate plus expenses billed in 15 min intervals drawn from your retainer of $10,000
– available information – agreed there is so much more in the states, help me (I have a wish list) and others by pointing to similar free or paid resources in Canada other than the census.
– accurate data – oh for a perfect world
– Engineers build bridges that fall down
– the mounties don’t get every man
– politicians estimate Olympic costs – oooops we’re off by several hundred million
– As to the $22M house. They should have listed with me. I can count. Their choice not mine who suffers – both of us.