Daily Snapshot

Days in The Week

A roundup of the Greater Vancouver Real Estate Board’s daily new listings, price changes and sold listings.

Activity

In what could be a rush to make sure there were enough open houses to look at on the long weekend, there was a brisk rush of new listings arriving at market.

Thursday saw a truck load of sellers deciding to sell. The east/west side attached detached recorded a combination of approximately 172 new listings while the REBGV system recorded an approximate total of 455.

Price Changes which in the majority in this market, reflect price reductions, were consistent throughout the week.

Sales recorded, show the usual Monday – Tuesday fallout from weekend activity as they are recorded to the system.

How It’s Done

The word approximate is used because this data is in a constant state of flux. The reason for its dynamic nature is partly due to a remote computer tool names ‘Broker Load’. Simply, it means that the elements that comprise the ‘dailies’ can be entered remotely by any member at any time of day. In order to provide you with an almost complete picture, the numbers are usually recorded by this author after 5 pm. At this time of day, captured are the majority of the daily entries at the board level. While not perfect, it renders an somewhat complete picture of that day’s activity.

Best place on meth Says:
April 3rd, 2010 at 10:49 am

Looks like “Broker Load” got overloaded and broke Thursday.

Those truckloads of sellers wanted to list before Good Friday because that’s what baby Jesus would have wanted.

Larry, is it true that listings were still rolling in when you posted the numbers at 8:22pm and actually ended up near 500?

April 3rd, 2010 at 11:37 am

@meth
Don’t know that it is true but, the machine shows 2 days back (you can’t specify a date) hit 497 and price changes ended up at 134. (I presume the cut off is midnight). Seems close to 500 to me! 🙂

Charles&Tammy Says:
April 3rd, 2010 at 5:33 pm

It looks clear to us. A rush for the next thirteen days or so.

Then things begin to stall out.

Good friends of ours who bought a couple of years ago are listing on the westside. Plan to rent and wait things out.

More and more folks are thinking this – would you agree?

Any thoughts from the trenches?

If bullish, I think things remain skewed for just a bit longer before reality sets in.

Charles thinks things may persist until mid-year when the bank of canada raises rates. I say it starts early. We love one another, but don’t always agree.

T

April 3rd, 2010 at 6:17 pm

@c&t
and your friends who are listing didn’t call me why?
I don’t do this blogging stuff because I’m lonesome – I’m applying for a job.
curious question – why are they selling?
could be a mistake when you add up all the costs that need to be paid to play again. the market will have to take a very large hit to make it work. historically the westside has been the least affected. i say think long and hard about that decision if they plan to buy back into the west side.
thoughts from the trenches – how do you learn Mandarin in 10 days or less
if more and more are thinking it then it will happen – it’s just a matter of degree.

John Says:
April 3rd, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Larry – I tried learning Mandarin twice. Once as a child and once as an adult. The only phrase I remember is how to say “I like beer”.

Charles&Tammy Says:
April 3rd, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I have just passed your website details to both couples, fyi.

Happy to do so. Will they call? That I don’t know.

April 4th, 2010 at 12:30 am

@John
LOL! I tried a class a VVI about 7 years ago. I messed up badly on ‘tien Mah’. I was told if I got the tone wrong I would either call it a horse or call your mother a horse. I thought it safer to stop going to class. 🙂

April 4th, 2010 at 12:31 am

@C&T
Thanks for the referral. They are always appreciated and gratefully accepted.