In Downtown Vancouver

Shoe on Other Foot

It’s guys like this in my industry that make a mockery of the word professional. It’s guys like this who have the audacity to righteously pontificate in the harshest, most public way, about other Realtors® who as claimed, make his day more difficult!

Yet, it’s guys like this who can be bigger screw ups than those who he seeks to lambaste.

I get it and I recognize that it’s hard to be perfect. For most people less than perfect can be forgiven unless – you are a Realtor® and this guy would have you believe he is amongst the best. Now it seems, the shoe is on the other foot.

Ringing loud and clear are words spoken. Words from the viewpoint of a real estate service consumer that say – “Listen, we pay you big bucks to do the job!” Justifiably you ask, “Do you think you could get the simple things right?”

Well… unfortunately such criticism is deserved and I’m about to tell you why!

No Names

I’m not ready to go to court over this post because I have vilified or implied anything slanderous about this particular gentleman. I will not mention his name although my tongue is bleeding and has teeth marks as I clench my jaw.

What I will say is this individual has publicly proclaimed and is noted for wanting issues exactly like this faux pas, recorded as public record. The objective of his very public rants is to provide you the consumer with a resource by which you could judge the Realtor’s® level of competence prior to engaging their services. It would seem that he has managed this on his own and my guess is that this will tarnish his metal with a few negative points.

The Problem

Today I viewed a new listing of a condo priced just under $500k. I, as a cooperating Realtor®, have a buyer who is looking for this exact location, and who is ready to do business. The problem is I can’t show the property to the buyer.

Why?

Because when I look for appointment information on the MLS® sheet I am greeted with the following –

Riddle Me This

Having read that instruction, I thought what would I think if I were the seller and saw that my Realtor® was telling other Realtors® not to make appointments to show my property. Reconsidering the thought, it seemed a better idea to let you assume the position of the Seller and tell me what your reaction would be.

After all, you know that it’s a tough market in which to sell a condo and you believe that you have chosen the best of the best to represent and assist you in the sale of your home in a forthright and honest manner.

As that conscientious seller, you inspect the MLS® listing that is now public. To your horror, you find that your Realtor® has told all 10,150 Realtors® of the Vancouver Board who you hope might have a buyer for your home, to do nothing less than take a hike by saying – Don’t Call, Email or Text!

What would you do? Don’t be shy, let’s hear it but please, bite your tongue and use nice words.

Reflection

Reflecting upon this individual’s past sanctimonious rants against his co-workers I leave you with the wise words of Robbie Burns – “Oh to see ourselves as others see us!”

Ray Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

What the hell are you talking about? It says don’t call, just to text or email. Are you incompetent? I really dislike the writing style of this blog. I wish there were just a way to know when your graphs are available.

amazed Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

it always amazes me how some of your profession operate. We are looking for a 7 figure home. I made an appointment to view a home. The day before I had to cancel the viewing because something came up. The agent has never come back to me for a new time. It’s been 3 weeks, and the property sits unsold. You would think the agent would follow up on the interested buyer but no?
Have several other similar stories of unmotivated & incompetent agents in this slow market.
There really should be a more difficult process to get a license.

beard of bees Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Not ideal, I agree, but can one not email the agent?

achilles Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 3:35 pm

WOW! Normally situations like this are quite comical, However, here are two people making a big, if not the biggest financial decisions of their current lives with one buying and one selling, only to be derailed by idiocy !.. it would be interesting to figure out what the cost of that is?.. does it sell for 10000 less?, 20000 less? more? does it sell? credible realtors are justified in avoiding and exposing these guys

September 16th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

@b of b
and that is the point – why put road blocks in the way of helping that seller achieve their goal. Dial the phone, make the appointment and move on.
Email and text are great tools but in using those tools the certainty of response is illusive much like a buyer who has lots of choice.

September 16th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

@ray
am I incompetent – doubtful or you wouldn’t keep coming back
don’t like the style – first didn’t know there was one and does it matter?
i could email or text to let you know when a graph is going to be posted but ….

September 16th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

@amazed
can’t disagree nor do I profess to being perfect but I keep trying

Want to see that house, call me I’ll make that happen for you.

fish10 Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

The whole thing doesn’t make sense.

It says Call LR
Then DONT CALL! in capital letters.
And I also assumed it meant don’t text or e-mail either.

What I thought it meant was someone trying to double end it, or have a sole agency for a lower commission..

I always remember what an old agent told me, he worked late into his 80’s btw..”when I am a listing agent, I am always happy to share the commission with the buyer’s agent. She/he is the who sold the property for me, and made me money and kept my client happy”

M- Says:
September 16th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Yeesh, the seller’s paying $20K to sell his condo, and the listing agent can’t be bothered to take phone calls? If I was the seller, I’d be angry that the place isn’t being listed to the best of the abilities of the realtor.

Sum Gai Says:
September 17th, 2010 at 8:15 am

It doesn’t say: “Don’t Call, Email or Text!”. It says: “Don’t Call! Email or Text.” Did you send a text?

September 17th, 2010 at 10:04 am

@sum

I know what it says and with respect I suggest that you are missing the point. If you are paying me big bucks to do a job you can be certain that road blocks to an inquiry about your property would not be put in place. It would as a minimum say PLEASE CALL. It is not a valid assumption that everyone has a smart phone and knows how to use it.

Ben Says:
September 17th, 2010 at 10:33 am

I have come across this before – the selling agent wants to keep all the commission.
I was being shown a house once by my realtor and the seller’s realtor told me when my realtor was out of earshot that he would give me a rebate if I used him! Naturally I stuck with my realtor. I have had other encounters before with established realtors in my area.

Jim Says:
September 17th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Larry, I get it. I would be choked if my realtor was so arogant as to tell prospective buyers or buyers agents HOW to contact me.

Plus, you can use blue tooth to call from your car, but texting is illegal. I thought realtors were mobile?

September 21st, 2010 at 9:17 am

Why do you make everything so complicated? if you dont like teh instruction, dont make any appointment

September 21st, 2010 at 4:13 pm

@soroush
I’m sure as a Realtor® your sellers will be pleased to know that you put up road blocks to inquiries about their property.