Quiet Sale

Words

They can be seductive! They can be misleading!

In the world of Vancouver real estate, words used, describe a home’s location, condition or features that have the potential to leave you bleached by the whiteness of the lie.

White Lies

They are subtle in their nuance as they appear in advertisements much like an unseen virus infecting the soul.

© Disney

Consider this opine on a Vancouver home’s location. It is, says the Vancouver Realtor®, on the “QUIET part of 12th ave”

Bus This

Confirming its position on a map, one can not dispute that it is on a part of 12th. In reality, however, it is only 33 feet from the busy intersection of 12th and MacDonald – a very noisy thorough-fare. The buffer, that great silencer of non stop traffic noise, is the small house next door. Notable in its irony, is that in front of the home next door is a bus stop. A place 33 feet away that is anything other than quiet. A place where due to a programmed schedule, one can be assured that every twenty minutes the heart throbbing ground shaking sound of a 400 horse power diesel belching unburnt fuel as it throttles up in its headlong rush to the next stop will be heard.

Quietly

It must have happened in between the endless arrival and the departure of the buses. It must be so! Only then could this Vancouver home have quietly sold for $1,170,000.

Jim Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 7:16 am

33 foor lots with tear downs are fetching $1.6 million in Point Grey r/Dunbar.
So $1.2 on a busy street sounds like fmv in this bizzaaro real estate world.

L8erDude Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 8:20 am

2811 west 12th ave – this is a nice little character home. The near 800sqft 1br suite down will fetch 1200-1400 in Kits too. I drive by this area everyday, and yes, the major traffic from 12th ave detours to 10th before reaching this address. The listing agent was correct in their description by calling it the “quiet part of 12th ave”. I’d say this is a pretty good buy in this market

Rob Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great buy. Maybe a missed opportunity. Love the sound of Fire trucks, Buses, speeding cars. Please are we that delusional??

L8erDude Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

@ Rob,

We all can’t live in 100 Mile House. For us plain folk who live in the city there are fire trucks, buses, cars, etc. If you can’t take the heat…

fish10 Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 9:36 pm

We have officially entered the Twilight Zone..

Jim Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I guess the alternative would be to pay the same or less for more house but have a longer commute ….
amongst …”Fire trucks, Buses, speeding cars”.
Welcome to the metropolis Rob.

Rob Says:
March 29th, 2011 at 11:38 pm

So your assuming I live outside Vancouver?? Ignorance is bliss. Sounds to me that you have a sense of ownership on this bull run in real estate?

L8erDude Says:
March 30th, 2011 at 8:00 am

@Rob

Sense of ownership, no. Sense of perspective, yes.
If you want a noisy section of 12th ave try 12th and Clark Drive, or Main, or Fraser, of Granville, etc. etc.

I know your type Rob…slam every single home in the city as a way to justify not buying when the real reason is that you can’t afford it. Guess what? I can’t afford the “noisy” home on 12th ave either – but at least I can see it for what it is and not paint it with the pessimists brush.

Moleskin Says:
March 30th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

@L8erDude

you are SO eyesthebye of RET fame…

Rod Says:
March 30th, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Well even in a noisy neighborhood one could always add some sound dampening material to the walls of their home to help quiet things down a bit while still maintaining the natural aesthetic of the home.

No matter what the description says of a home. Without professional photos nobody reads it anyways because home buyers don’t have time to waste reading descriptions when the photos tell them to look at the next one in the search results.

Rob Says:
March 31st, 2011 at 10:31 pm

@L8erdude
I don’t have a clue as to what is value on a busy street for you or anyone else for that matter. But for myself and my family living at this particular location is NOT worth the price. So do not be offended if I or someone doesn’t agree with you. Thanks for the personal attack as well, glad you know my situation. Don’t be so quick to judge others. It’s a forum to express opinions and engage.

L8erDude Says:
April 1st, 2011 at 10:12 am

@ Rob

One person’s junk is another’s treasure.

About personal attacks…how about calling me delusional? Or is this what you consider complimentary? I don’t think I was quite as crass with you.

April 1st, 2011 at 3:23 pm

@L8R and Rob

We’re all done here with this off topic topic. 🙂