While Waiting

Information

The hunt for a Ground Lease from 1990 lead me to the British Columbia Land Title office in New Westminster. The good part is that the Land Titles office is a meticulous record keeper. The bad part is that it would be more than 3 hours to retrieve and photo copy the lease.

Glory Days

At a $1.05 per page, a stuffy, toner infused whirring office does not find itself on the top ten list of fun places to wait. The alternative, a hilly stroll amongst the interesting building styles and architecture of New Westminster’s glory days. It seemed a more lucky day than usual as the stroll took me to a place that while interesting also placed me in the presence of some very distinguished company.

Waiting

On my way to meeting the distinguished group I passed buildings like the Trapp Block that stirred memories of New Orleans’ buildings in decline where the green harbingers of nature’s reclamation have gained a strong hold in their attack upon man’s monuments.

While looking upon this decay an eerie feeling of someone watching crept over me. Their gaze was steady from that second story window. A couple, they appeared trapped in a moment of elegance while waiting for an unknown event. An event which, if based on their sun bleached, discolored attire, had long passed. With wandering mind it seemed much like the hope of some Vancouver home buyers who continue to wish for a real estate revival that would return the market to Victorian price levels.

The Arundel Mansion

Upon first seeing the Arundel Mansion circa 1910-13, it is not hard to imagine you are in San Francisco. Just a short walk to the city core of New Westminster it is located at 48 Begbie street.

The day of surprises continued as it was soon discovered on Google, that this building is in fact, a boutique hotel/suite. Many of the revues found on Google seem to be good except for the fact it abuts the Skytrain line which makes it a little noisy. The pictures on the site show the various suites and reveal the Victorian ambiance you might expect while visiting with the famous guests listed on the entry board.

*This is not an endorsement of the Arundel Mansion. If you have a three hour wait in New Westminster, you might take a walk about to see its Victorian architecture first hand. If not, you can wait in a stuffy office.

vanpro Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

All that time and effort could have been avoided w/ a BC Online account (I would have thought all realty co.’s would have one). Can do all such searches and more from your computer – inlcuding downloading/saving all manner of documents registered on title (mortgages, leases, covenants, encroachments etc…).

April 13th, 2011 at 4:41 pm

@VANPRO

“all that time and effort could have been avoided” – Yes that is true and is one perspective.

As to the online account I have one but in reality, it was much more fun and a good excuse to have a relaxed lunch followed by a walk in the sunshine to explore a little corner of New Westminster. Makes life more interesting I think. 🙂

Jim Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

This is why you will live a long time Larry. Balance.

On a completely different topic, is the market slowing at all?
I have heard rumours.

April 13th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

@JIM
Depends on who you talk to, the product they sell and where they sell it. Were they part of those rumours?

If ‘Just Sold Cards’ are scientific validation, suspect is that a few Realtors® on the east side are doing ok. In the Main and Commercial areas properties seem to be moving quickly in all prices ranges. As well, solid east side condo/twnhouses moving but not getting asking price. If there is a paint chip missing it sits.
Real or imagined there is a buzz building around Brentwood but, it could be my tinnitus gained while rocking with Jason Hoover and the Epics. 🙂
Was helping some buyers in Langley (Walnut Grove) – saw a bunch of sold signs and just as many for sale signs.’
If you don’t speak Mandarin and work on the west side you might be hurting. I’m about to bring a property to market in south Dunbar. It will be very interesting to see the buyer mix. Can’t speak for everybody but March was very busy and really cramped my posts.

vomitingdog Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I have tinnitus and it drives me nuts, sometimes.

April 13th, 2011 at 6:18 pm

@VDOG
yeah it’s weird. sometimes the ringing is overpowering until the brain adjusts. Stinky part is it never ever stops.

Sure do miss cranking it up. 🙂

Jim Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I hear ya Larry re the Westside.
I am a huge real estate bull but I am wondering if we are due for a correction.

vomitingdog Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

The worst is relapsing tinnitus. It’s actually easier to not hear it if it’s ringing 24 hours a day. But if you have it on one day, off the next, it makes you even crazier.

I’d go for cranking it up if I were you. WTF? You’ll learn sign language worse comes to worse.

bbcoq Says:
April 14th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Great post Larry

vangrl Says:
April 16th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Definitely noticing a few Kits condos sitting on the MLS site for a very long time, even a few price reductions.