Vancouver is Dense

D = m / volume

Is small beautiful?

With the passing of time density is becoming entrenched in Vancouver real estate. This report reveals the next level in maximizing livability when multiplied five times on a 33 foot Vancouver property.

CBC Report

Reggie Says:
January 19th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Hi Larry,

Listing pace is abating somewhat and sales are starting to move higher.

You were right, all the naysayers yet again are confounded!

Thanks for the great blog.

RL

January 19th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

@reggie
thanks for the vote but I’m still holding my breath 🙂

hazu chan Says:
January 19th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Very interesting video about “urban infill” on 33 lots on main arteries. I wonder if this would lead to a new round of speculation on such arteries?

Reggie Says:
January 19th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hi Larry,

Are folks in the know questioning the open house traffic? (‘still holding my breath’)

I think the weather and holidays and reporting lag has held back sales volumes. I suspect we’ll see a veritable avalanche of sales over the coming weeks.

JMHO.

RL

BubbleBoy Says:
January 19th, 2012 at 7:44 pm

@Reggie

Don’t get too excited yet, your home is depreciating everday you plan to hold on it.

Don’t hold your breath too long. Enjoy your life. Go skiing. It’s been a good run for your biz.

@Hazu Chan,

Maybe in 10 years we might consider these types of buildings. Right now, Vancouver has a whack load of condos being built around Olympic village. Damn those developers are taking down Burger King!!!!!

January 19th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

@bubbles

you must be a mind reader. Hitting the slopes this weekend in between opens Sat and Sun at 2050 SW Marine 2 – 4. You should stop by if you want to see a 1925 house in original condition.

Seriously, the knob and tube wiring is a piece of art. I’ve never seen anything like it.

hazu chan Says:
January 20th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Chinese New Year market sales starting? Larry, is the Year of the Dragon breathing fire on the market or choking on its own smoke?

News from China doesn’t look very good vis a vis real estate, a harbinger for here, keyi ma?

January 20th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

@hazu
As always these are tough calls to make. Some say we will be busy others say not so much. I too have been following Patrick Chovanec who seems to have his finger on China’s economic pulse. His last series of posts and interviews about China’s current political and financial state are not what I would call optimistic.

Premised on one of his December posts, I did back then, allude to some of the impact segments of our economy might endure should continue China to stutter.

At this precise moment we really don’t know if there will be a substantial change in our local Vancouver market. Going out on a limb, my take on what I’m seeing says the numbers for January are not going to be pretty. That said, I anticipate that should the expected visitors fail to materialize the adjustment will start on the west side and quickly filter east, south and up valley. By Feb/March if the market has as some suspect, crossed the line into negative territory, we’ll begin to see a picture developing. How big and what that picture will look like be may not be known until we get some hindsight by May or June.

It is an interesting change that where we were once viewed as the tail on the American dog we now seem to be the tail on the Chinese dragon. Let’s hope he’s a good dragon.

BubbleBoy Says:
January 20th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

If I win the lotto max tonight, you’ll see me on the weekend. Otherwise, that home is slightly out of
my price range.

January 20th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

@bubbles
Even if you don’t win the lotto and would like to see 1925 home in original condition it’s worth the visit for the sake of interest alone.

Reggie Says:
January 22nd, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi Larry,

I bet the rain slowed open houses this weekend. That said, I suspect that post CNY will cause a veritable flood of bidding wars over the coming weeks, watch out for new record high prices and sales volumes!

January 22nd, 2012 at 4:58 pm

@reggie
The big old house at 2050 SW Marine asking 8.5M it was quite busy. Some real buyers and some just interested in seeing a home in its original 1925 condition. You should come next weekend. At 9000 sq Ft there is lots of room for everybody. Bring coffee 🙂

January 22nd, 2012 at 4:59 pm

@painted

Mike Holmes – Really!

Reggie Says:
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hi Larry,

It wouldn’t surprise me if you get an over asking offer on the property.

Good Luck!

Reggie Says:
January 22nd, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I will try and come down, but it’s about 5x’s the top end of my price range!

BubbleBoy Says:
January 22nd, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Dec sales for westside was absolutely scary. If there’s that much interest in WilMar, maybe there’s no open next week eh? Has there been any offers on it yet? I really hope u find a buyer cuz it’s tough out there.

January 22nd, 2012 at 11:36 pm

@Reggie,
over asking..
possible but I’m not holding my breath

January 22nd, 2012 at 11:40 pm

@bubbles
agreed and Jan. may be more so.
As for Wilmar – properties of this magnitude aren’t your east side bungalow that sells in a weekend. 12 – 16 months is more the norm.
Due diligence on the part of the buyer is in of itself an expensive and time consuming project.
You should come and have a look. It is an interesting property from a historical perspective. 2050 SW Marine has never been for sale before in its 86 year existence.

Reggie Says:
January 23rd, 2012 at 5:33 pm

The papers are talking about a large influx of savvy Chinese buyers looking to ‘scoop up real estate’ in the coming weeks.

It’s about to get really, really exciting!!!!

Gromit Says:
January 23rd, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for the daily numbers, Larry. Much appareciated.

Rob Says:
January 23rd, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Yes the unbiased article by the real estate convention group. Those Savvy investors are missing in action since June 2011.

Seller Says:
January 23rd, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Sounds like nows the time to list CNY will soak up all the listings, i hope to list soon and will be in touch!

Thanks Larry

BubbleBoy Says:
January 24th, 2012 at 8:02 am

@Seller

List now if unless you want to give more discount later. CNY has no affect on RE. CNY is a time to relax with family. If yo are Chinese, you already know!!