A Billion Reasons Why It Won’t Stop

The Beat Goes On

Median prices for June 2015 reflected a busy and ever more expensive market for detached homes in the majority of the neighbourhoods in Vancouver West, Vancouver East, North and West Vancouver.

Vancouver Median Price

Median-Price-2015-07-01_4-Areas-Web

Vibrations

Vancouver vibrates with the sound of feet locked in step as they climb stairs leading to an open house. This while the market regardless of month over month fluxes, continues to see Median prices, reach higher levels.

2015 Vancouver West Vancouver East West Vancouver North Vancouver

$2,650,000

$1,114,500

$2,400,000

$1,262,944

Will It Stop?

tiananmen_Web 475

Nationally there are a thousand socioeconomic reasons why this real estate market should not continue the pattern of ever increasing prices – poor pay, seasonal jobs, factories closed imported labor are a few.

Across the Pacific Ocean in a land called Asia, in a square called Tiananmen, there stands part of a billion reasons as testament to why this market will not stop for many years.

vangrl Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thanks again for the stats. Are your June numbers for West Van maybe wrong?

vangrl Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 10:29 am

When you get a chance can you please show us a similar graph (yours are great) showing prices for apartments only, East, West, North and West Van from 2010 till now?

thanks

July 18th, 2015 at 12:14 pm

@vangrl
yes I messed that up properly. Thanks for letting me know it should be good now.

July 18th, 2015 at 12:20 pm

@vangrl
That would be nice but finding the time to tabulate 60 months X 4 area numbers is not possible at this time.
The reason is that these numbers are not tabulated in the needed format by the board’s computer. #fail
To do so entails a painfully long manual process fraught with potential for error.

cheaper Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Please show this chart dating back to 1970’s to show why a coming soon dip is absolutely inevitable. …hello long painful recession Canada. .just sayn Larry

vangrl Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 1:50 pm

No problem.

I assumed that if you could do detached you could easily do apartments in the same way. But it may be that either apt info isn’t as readily available as detached, or that maybe you’ve kept track of detached throughout the years, making it easier for you to update this graph on a regular basis.

This market seems unstoppable, I bet on many levels it’s also a little frustrating for some Realtors.

July 18th, 2015 at 2:01 pm

@cheaper
I refer you to the comment from and to vangrl.

July 18th, 2015 at 2:35 pm

@vangrl
your assumption that it could be done is correct but at the risk of being repetitive to generate that single graph requires a great number of hours to tabulate. Suffice to say that if it was easy every agent would do it.

To give you some idea and to blow my own horn I have to take you back to the 70’s when on my old 10MHZ XT with dual floppies that ran Excel, I first compiled the data for the Average Graph from single sheets of paper upon which the average monthly prices were recorded and haphazardly filed in a cabinet. Under the guise of research I managed to find records as early as 1977. To my knowledge no recorded data of consequence existed before that time. There are smatterings but they are not sufficiently cohesive to render anything that would make sense. As well with the advent of computerization much data from earlier times has been lost due to mainframe data transfer incompatibility. Please remember that in the 70’s computers represented a new brave world and many mistakes were made where sales data was concerned.
The trade for access to the data was that I was allowed to produce that graph for my clients. It was rare back then but today this same Average Graph is considered common place. It was one of the first graphs that the board ever produced for public consumption. It certainly was the first that was ever tabulated using Excel. Ironically that original data set is still used today. Prior to that point in time there were no data sets maintained using a computer. Data as we think of it today, was considered inconsequential at that time to those who ran things. They simply didn’t understand the power of this type of information.

Hope that helps you appreciate why I have little time to allocate to do what you ask. It is an onerous task to keep current with data I tabulate now.

As for unstoppable – I hope the picture of Tiananmen Square tells the story.

Interested Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Any luck on the Wilmar home? I would be a victim for 4 million cash. Thanks Liu Xu

July 19th, 2015 at 12:43 am

@ interested,
now that is a generous offer. :”(

vangrl Says:
July 24th, 2015 at 9:54 am

gotcha!

Appreciate the stats you do give us 🙂

Van guy Says:
July 27th, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Hey Larry, I thought Wilmar was sold yrs ago? Is this a new listing or did that sale fall apart. Thanks!

July 27th, 2015 at 9:05 pm

@van guy,
a heritage home phenomena.